P:-'' ... * 4 DEMY ANDOVER, M .... J;810

Digitized by

the Internet Archive

in 2013




Andover, Massachusetts



Published by Phillips Academy, Andover, Massachusetts




24. McCurdy House

49. Isham Infirmary-Hospita

74. Williams Hall

25. Eastman House

50. 16 Stall Garage

75. Junior House

26. Bennel House

51 . Pemberton Cottage

76. Tilton House

27. Merrill House

52. Eaton Cottage

77. Davison House

28. Bulfinch Hall

53. Andover Cottage

78. Work Shops

29. Borden and Memorial

54. Phelps House

79. Heating & Lighting Pla

55. Pease House

80. Draper Cottage

30. Hardy House

56. Churchill House

81. Cheever House

31. Memorial Tower

57. Bishop Hall

82. Jackson House

32. Newman House

58. Adams Hall

83. Goodhue House

33. Cooley House

59. Johnson Hall

84. Coy House

34. Cose Memorial Building

60. Rockwell House

85. America House

36. Pearson Farm

61. Bancroft Hall

86. Carter House

37. Gould House

87. Greene House

38. Phillips Gale

63. Clement House

88 Woods House

39. Stuart House

89. 87 Bartlet Street

40. Taylor Hall

65' Graves Hall

90. French House

41. Blanchard House

66. Engineering Office

91. Graham House

42. Jewett Tucker House

67. Abbot House

92. Fay House

43. Greenough House

68. Park House

93. Stowe House

44. Quincy House

69. Archaeology Building

94. Andover Inn

45. Palmer House

70. Peobody House

95. Cochron Church

46. Lowell House

71. Farrar House

96. Houses not owned by

47. Weld House

72. Hayward House

The Academy

48. Comstock House

73. Williston House

10. 14 School Street

11. Eastham House

12. Seminary House

13. Forbes House

14. Abbot Stevens H

115. Alfred E. Stearn!

116. Henry L. Stimson



Andover, Massachusetts

19 6 6


Published by Phillips Academy, Andover, Massachusetts








12 3 4

5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

S M T W T F S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

S M T W T F S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31




_ 1 2

3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

12 3 4

5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

12 3 4

5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 25 24 25

26 27 28




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 .....

1 2

3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

12 3 4

5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31




12 3 4

5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

28 29 30 31

2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29





2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 3 1

1 2 3

4 5 6 7 8 9 10 '1 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

28 29 30 31




1 2 3 4 5

6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

27 28

2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

'6 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

1 2 3

4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30




1 2 3 4 5

6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

1 2 3 4 5

6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ,

2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 3 0 31




1 2

3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

1 2 3

4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

1 2 3 4 5

6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31



SCHOOL YEAR 1965-1966

Fall term begins Friday, September 17, 196 J

Mid-term Rating Wednesday, October 27

Long Thanksgiving weekend Wednesday, November 24, to

5:00 p.m. on Sunday, November 28

Fall term ends Thursday, December 16

Christmas Recess 19 days

Winter term begins 8:00 p.m., Tuesday, January 4, 1966

Long weekend Friday-Sunday, February 11-13

Winter term ends Thursday, March 10

Spring Recess 19 days

Spring term begins °. :00 p.m., Tuesday, March 29

Long weekend Friday-Sunday, May 13-15

Examinations end Thursday, June 9

Commencement -Friday, June 10

Summer Session 1966

Summer session begins —..^...Wednesday, June 29

Summer session ends Thursday, August 11

SCHOOL YEAR 1966-1967

Fall term begins Friday, September 16, 1966

Fall term ends Thursday, December 1 5

Christmas Recess 20 days

Winter term begins 8:00 p.m., Wednesday, January 4, 1967

Winter term ends Thursday, March 16

Spring Recess 19 days

Spring term begins 8:00 p.m., Tuesday, April 4

Examinations end Thursday, June 8

Commencement Friday, June 9

Summer Session 1967

Summer session begins _ Wednesday, June 28

Summer session ends , Thursday, August 10



'"Phi: purpose of Phillips Academy is to teach "the great end and real business of living." According to its Constitution, signed in 1778, "It is expected that the Master's attention to the disposition of the minds and morals of the youth under his charge will exceed every other care; well considering that, though goodness without knowledge (as it respects others) is both weak and feeble, yet knowledge without goodness is dangerous, and that both united form the noblest character and lay the surest foundation of use- fulness to mankind." Adapted to conditions of modern life, the aim of the Academy remains the same: so to intensify and broaden the capacities of its students that they may enter the larger world with trained minds and with a deepened sense of their responsibility to society.

Phillips Academy is dedicated to sound scholarship. It endeavors first of all to stimulate in its students curiosity about things of the mind, to induce in them a desire to educate themselves. It at- tempts to foster the development of discriminating judgment and independence of thought. It tries to cultivate the imagination and emotions of its boys.

By long tradition Andover believes in education that makes boys resourceful and independent. Andover believes in the value of student representation from all parts of the country and of the world, and from all walks of life. To its boys it offers an in- tellectual and moral discipline, as well as friendly encouragement and sympathy, the best incentives to accomplishment.

Phillips Academy is a liberal, modern school with an ancient tradition. It values the benefits passed on to it by many generations. It has contributed directly to the development of thousands of men, and indirectly to numberless aspects of our national life. Thankful for its history, Andover focuses on the present and on the future. In training American boys for service and leadership it seeks to preserve a flexible spirit that will test and try the new while treasuring the riches of the past.



Founded in 1778 by Samuel Phillips John Phillips, LL.D.

Samuel Phillips, Jr.

Constitution and deed of trust signed April 21, 1778

School opened April 30, 1778

Act of incorporation October 4, 1780




MARK XEWMAX, A.M. 1794-1809

JOHX ADAMS, LL.D. 1810-183 3

OSGOOD JOHXSOX, A.M. 1 83 3-1 837

SAMUEL H. TAYLOR, LL.D. 1837-1871

FREDERIC W. TILTOX, A.M. 1871-1873

CECIL F. P. BAXCROFT, Ph.D., L.H.D., LL.D. 1873-1901

ALFRED E. STEARXS, Litt.D., L.H.D., LL.D. 1903-1933

CLAUDE M. FUESS, Ph.D., L.H.D., LL.D. 193 3-1948

JOHX M. KEMPER, A.M., L.H.D., Litt.D., LL.D. 1948-



T)hillips academy is situated at Andover, in the County of Essex, Massachusetts. The Constitution and original deed of gift of the Academy was signed April 21, 1778, by Esquire Samuel Phillips, of the north parish of Andover, and his brother, John Phil- lips, LL.D., of Exeter, New Hampshire, in the presence, and largely at the instance, of Samuel Phillips, Jr. (then but twenty-six years old), afterward judge of the Court of Common Pleas for Essex County, president of the Massachusetts Senate, and lieutenant governor of the Commonwealth. By this act the Trustees of Phillips Academy became owners of the land in the south parish of Andover on which the chief buildings of the school now stand, together with other endowment comprising further lands and the sum of one thousand six hundred and fourteen pounds. Two years later, on October 4, 1780, the school was incorporated by the Act of Incorporation passed by the General Court of Massachu- setts, signed by John Hancock.

The Constitution was written by Samuel Phillips, Jr., with the advice and aid of his friend, Eliphalet Pearson, who became first Master. The following passages are characteristic:

A serious consideration of the premises, and an observation of the growing neglect of youth, have excited in us a painful anxiety for the event, and determined us to make, in the follow- ing Conveyance, a humble dedication to our Heavenly Benefac- tor of the ability, wherewith he hath blessed us, to lay the foundation of a public free School or Academy for the purpose of instructing Youth, not only in English and Latin Grammar, Writing, Arithmetic, and those Sciences, wherein they are commonly taught, but more especially to learn them the great end and real business of living.

The Master is to give special attention to the health of the scholars, and ever to urge the importance of a habit of industry.

But above all, it is expected that the Master's attention to the disposition of the minds and morals of the youth under his charge will exceed every other care; well considering that, though good- ness without knowledge (as it respects others) is weak and feeble, yet knowledge without goodness is dangerous, and that both united form the noblest character, and lay the surest foun- dation of usefulness to mankind.




This Seminary shall be ever equally open to youth of requisite qualifications from every quarter.

And, in order to prevent the smallest perversion of true intent of this Foundation, it is again declared, that the first and princi- pal object of this Institution is the promotion of true Piety and Virtue; the second, instruction in the English, Latin, and Greek languages, together with Writing, Arithmetic, Music, and the Art of Speaking; the third, practical Geometry, Logic, and Geography; and the fourth, such other of the Liberal Arts and Sciences or Languages as opportunity and ability may hereafter admit, and as the Trustees shall direct.

Phillips Academy was opened for instruction April 30, 1778, in a building which had earlier been used as a carpenter's shop. The first preceptor was Eliphalet Pearson (1778-1786), a stimu- lating teacher and stern disciplinarian, who established high stan- dards of instruction. Shortly before he resigned to become professor at Harvard College, a new and larger schoolhouse was built. On November 5, 1789, George Washington, President of the United States, visited Andover and addressed the students assembled on the Old Training Field.

The fourth principal, John Adams, raised the repute of the school, increased the attendance, and enlarged the number of teachers. During his term as principal, the second schoolhouse was burned, on January 28, 1818, and a new brick Academy designed by the famous architect Charles Bulfinch was erected within a year. This "classic hall," described in Oliver Wendell Holmes's centennial poem, "The School-Boy," is still in use.

The modern period of the school's history commenced in 1873 with the election of Cecil F. P. Bancroft, a man of foresight and clear vision, patience and shrewd discrimination, who was prin- cipal until his death in 1901. Under Dr. Bancroft's administra- tion, attendance increased from 262 to over 400 pupils and since then has never dropped below that figure.

Dr. Bancroft was succeeded in 1902 by Alfred E. Stearns. The purchase in 1908 of the lands and buildings of the Andover Theo- logical Seminary greatly increased the resources of the Academy and made possible new development. In the late 1920's and in the 1930's the school took its present form under a building and landscaping program made possible by the generosity of Thomas Cochran, other alumni, and friends of the school.



Under the administration of Claude M. Fuess, Headmaster from 1933 to 1948, the faculty was greatly enlarged and strengthened, the curriculum was revised, a number of buildings were added, and the Andover Summer Session (1942) and the Andover Eve- ning Study Program (1935) began. In World War II, Andover men served in each of the services, and 143 gave their lives. Dur- ing much of the war, Henry L. Stimson served as president of the Trustees as well as Secretary of War.

John M. Kemper was elected Headmaster in 1948. Since then, substantial advances have been made in three areas: curriculum, admissions policy, and the physical plant and resources.

The curriculum has been revised to provide increased flexibility. In 1952-195 3, under Andover leadership and with a grant from the Ford Foundation, the important study, General Education in School and College, was completed. It has resulted in the introduc- tion into the Andover curriculum of new, advanced, college-level courses. In 195 5, in response to the national teacher shortage, the school inaugurated the Andover Teaching Fellow Program to re- cruit and train young men for teaching.

Concerning admissions, the decision was made in the late fifties to admit each year the best 250 candidates regardless of their ability to pay tuition. The effect of this decision has been to broaden still further the school's basic policy, in the words of its Consti- tution, "to be ever equally open to youth of requisite qualifications from every quarter."

In the third area, physical plant and resources, several changes are notable. The endowment has grown from eleven to twenty- eight million dollars. Meantime the enrollment has increased from 725 to 858.

During the years 1959-61 The Andover Program, a major capital gift drive carried out by alumni and parents, succeeded in raising $6,750,000 for new facilities. With these funds the Academy has built four new dormitories, two new faculty houses, a new science building, an Arts and Communications Center with extensive audio-visual equipment and studio space, an enlargement of the auditorium stage and an experimental drama lab, a wing on the Library, several new athletic fields, a roof for the hockey rink, and other athletic facilities; existing buildings have been remodeled for more classrooms and for sudent and faculty housing.


HENRY WISE HOBSON '10, D.D., LL.D., President Elected 1937, President since 1947

JOHN MASON KEMPER, A.M., L.H.D., Litt.D., LL.D., Clerk Elected 1948

JOHN PETERS STEVENS, JR. '15, A.B., Treasurer Elected 1948, Treasurer since 196)

JAMES PHINNEY BAXTER, III '10, Ph.D., Litt.D., L.H.D., D.Sc. Elected 1942

CHARLES STAFFORD GAGE '21, A.M. Elected 1952

BROMWELL AULT '18, S.B. Elected 19 5 3


DONALD HOLMAN McLEAN, JR. '2 8, LL.B. Elected 195 8

JOHN USHER MONRO '30, A.B. Elected 195 8

THOMAS LEE PERKINS '24, LL.B. Elected 1959


WILBUR JOSEPH BENDER '37HF, A.M., LL.D. Elected 1963

STEPHEN YOUNG HORD '17, A.B. Elected 1963

Cincinnati, Ohio


Plainfield, N. J.



New Haven, Conn. New York, N. Y.

Dalton Brookline Cambridge Rye, N. Y. New York, N. Y. Cambridge Lake Forest, 111.

Alumni Trustees

GEORGE HERBERT WALKER BUSH '42, A.B. Elected 1963 for three years

FRANK PRAY FOSTER '25, M.D. Elected 1964 for three years

LOUIS FREDERICK POLK, JR. '49, M.B.A. Elected 1965 for three years


Ex Officio for one year as President of the Alumni Association

Houston, Tex. West Newton Wayzata, Minn. Winchester

Trustees Emeriti


SUMNER SMITH '08, A.B. 1956-1960

New York, N. Y.




fOHN Mason Kemper, A.M., L.H.D., Litt.D., LL.D.

I lea J master Elected 1948

Cii orgs I'Ranki in French, A.M.


Instructor in French, Emeritus


I i si i n Edward Lynde, A.M.


Dean, Emeritus


Oswald Tower, A.B.


Dean and Instructor in Matbema/ic

s, Erne

ritu \


Alice Thacher Whitney


Recorder, Emerita

1 vl)i - 1 7 )U

1 ESTER Charles Newton, A.M.


Instructor in French and German,

Enter ii



Henry Preston Kelley, A.M.


Instructor in Spanish, Emeritus

1918-28, 1935-52

Montviij e Ellsworth Peck

North Bridgton, Me.

Instructor in Physical Education, Emeritus

1916-195 5

Guy Johnson Forbush, A.B.


Instructor in French, Emeritus

1917-1920, 1924-1955

Arthur Burr Darling, Ph.D.

Washington, D. C.

Instructor in History, Emeritus

1917-191 8, 1933-1958

Douglas Mansor Dunbar, A.M.


Instructor in Mathematics, German,

and Bible, Emeritus


M. Lawrence Shields, A.B.


Instructor in Biology and Secretary

of the

Academy, Emeritus


Roscof. Edwin Everett Dake, S.B.


Instructor in Chemistry, Emeritus


John Kingsbury Colby, A.M.

North Andover

Instructor in Latin, Emeritus


Miles Sturdivant Malone, Ph.D.

D.iytona Beach, Fla.

Instructor in History, Emeritus


Elizabeth Fades, A.B.


Director of the Library, Emerita


KoGl k Wolcott Higgins, A.M.


Instructor in English, Emeritus


Emory Shelby Basford, A.B.

Rome, Italy

Instructor in English, Emeritus


Floyd Thurston FIumphries, A.B.

Naples, Fla.

Instructor in French, Emeritus


John Sedgwick Barss, A.M.


Instructor in Physics, Emeritus


Donald Miller Clark, M.D.

Williamson, W. Va.

Medu al Director, Emeritus


E i.bert Cook Weaver, A.M.

Madison, Conn.

Instructor in Chemistry, Emeritus




1 1

Alan Rogers Blackmer, A.M., L.H.D. 192 5 Dean of the Faculty

Kenneth Smith Minard, A.M. 1928 Assistant Dean of Students

George Knight Sanborn, S.B. 1928 Instructor in Biology on the Am mi Wright Lancashire foundation Warden of the Moncrieff Cochran Sanctuary

Alfred Graham Baldwin, D.D. 193 0

Instructor in Religion, Ethics, and Social Problems on the Independence

Foundation Teaching Endowment Chairman of the Religion Department

"Robert Edward Maynard, S.B. 1931 Instructor in Mathematics on the Jonathan French Foundation

Leonard Frank James, A.M. 193 2

Instructor in History on the Cecil F. P. Bancroft Foundation Chairman of the Flistory Department

George Grenville Benedict, A.M. 1930-1 932,1933

Dean of Students

Douglas Swain Byers, A.M. 193 3

Instructor in Anthropology Chairman of the Archaeology Department

Bartlett Harding Hayes, Jr., A.B. 193 3

Instructor in Art Chairman of the Art Department

James Ruthven Adriance, A.B. 1934 Assistant to the Headmaster

* Alston Hurd Chase, Ph.D. 19 34

Instructor in Greek and Latin on the Samuel Flarrey Taylor Foundation Chairman of the Classics Department

Norwood Penrose Hallowf.ll, Jr., A.B. 1934 Instructor in English and Public Speaking on the Alfred Lau rence Ripley Foundation

Frank Frederick DiClemente, S.B. 193 5

Instructor in Physical Education

James Hooper Grew, D. es L. 193 5

Instructor in French on the Elizabeth Milbank Anderson Foundation Chairman of the French Department

Frederick Scouller Allis, Jr., A.M., L.H.D. 193 6

Instructor in History on the Martha Cochran Foundation Director of Financial Aid

Chester Archibald Cochran, A.M. 193 6

Instructor in French

Frederick Johnson, S.B. 1936 Instructor in Archaeology

Stephen Stanley Sorota, S.B. 193 6

Instructor in Physical Education

Stephen Whitney, A.M. 1936 Instructor in French

* On leave of absence.



1 [art Day Leavitt, A.B. 1937 Instructor in English

William Hayes Brown, A.M. 193 8

Instructor in English on the Emilie Bel den Cochran Foundation Chairman of the English Department

Richard Sawyer Pieters, A.M. 1938 Instructor in Mathematics on the Alfred Ernest Steams Foundation Chairman of the Mathematics Department

Robert Whittemore Sides, A.B. 1938 Instructor in Mathematics Director of Admissions

John Bromham Hawes, Ed.M. 1933-1936, 1939

Instructor in English

Harper Follansbee, Ed.M. 1940 Instructor in Biology on the George Veabody Foundation Chairman of the Biology Department

Walter Gierasch, A.B. 1941 Instructor in English

Dudley Fitts, A.B. 1941 Instructor in English on the Independence Foundation Teaching Endowment

Francis Bertrand McCarthy, A.B. 1941 Instructor in English and Philosophy

Cornelius Gordon Schuyler Banta, S.B. 1944 Instructor in Mathematics

Joseph Rittenhouse Weir Dodge, A.M. 1944 Instructor in English

Alexander Dunnett Gibson, A.M. 1944 Instructor in French

Frederick Almond Peterson, A.M. 1946 Instructor in English Director of the Summer Session Chairman of the Andover Evening Study Program

Allan George Gillingham, Ph.D. 1947 Instructor in Latin and Greek, on the John Charles Phillips Foundation

Peter Quackenbush McKee, Ed.M. 1947 Instructor in Physics Chairman of the Physics Department Scheduling Officer

Gordon Gilmore Bensley, A.B. 1949 Instructor in Art Director, Audio-Visual Center

John Richard Lux, M.S.Ed. 1949 Instructor in Mathematics

William Louis Schneider, Mus.Ed.B. 1949 Instructor in Music

William Russell Bennett, Jr., A.B. 1950 Associate Dean of Students

William John Buehner, A.M. 1950 Instructor in Latin

Simeon Hyde, Jr., A.M. 19 jq

Instructor in English


Reagh Clinton Tetmore, M.P.E.

Instructor in Chemistry and Physical Education

Henry Waring Schereschewsky, A.B. Comptroller

Frederic Anness Stott. A.B. Alumni Secretary Director of Development

Philip Brottnlie Weld, M.S.

Instructor in Chemistry and Physics Chairman of the Chemistry Department

*Vtt.tjam Franklin Graham. B.S. Instructor in Mathematics

*Fred Harold Harrison, A.M.

Instructor in History and Physical Education Chairman of the Athletic Department

John Claiborne McClement, Ed.M. Instructor in Mathematics

* Joshua Levis Miner, III, A.B. Instructor in Science

President, Outtcard Bound, Incorporated

James Harold Couch, A.M. Instructor in Spanish Chairman of the Spanish Deparrment

Sherman Frederick Drake, Ed.M.

Instructor in Mathematics, Mechanical Drau :ng,

Edmond Emerson Hammond, Jr.. Sc.M.

Instructor in Mathematics, Physics, end Chemist,

Louis John Hoitsma, Jr.. Ed.M. Instructor in Mathematics

Robert Penniman Hulburd, A.M. Instructor in German Director of College Placement

Dalton Hunter McBee, A.B. Instructor in English Admissions Officer

Albert Karl Roehrig, Ed.M.

School Psychologist Robert Edwin Lane. A.M.

Instructor in Latin and Russian

Chairman of the Russian Department

Director of the Bureau of Self-Hclb *Thomas Michael Mikula, A.M.

Instructor in Mathematics v Harold Holmes O^ten. Jr., A.M.

Instructor in English Thomas Joseph Regan, A.M.

Instructor in English William Biggs Clift, Jr., B.M.Ed.

Instructor in Music

Chairman of the Music Department

* On leave of absence.



Frank McCord Eccles, A.M. 1956 Instructor in Mathematics

Kk hard Valentine Healy, P.E. 19J6 Director of Physical Plant

John Ward Kimball, A.B. 1956 Instructor in Biology

Harrison Schuyler Royce, Jr., M.I. A. 1956 Instructor in History

* Gerald Shertzer, M.F.A. 1957 Instructor in Art

John Frank Bronk 19J8 Instructor in Physical Education ami Physiotherapist

George William Best, S.B. 195 8

Instructor in Mathematics

Clement Morell, A.M. 1958

Instructor in Mathematics Excusing Officer

Frederic Arnold Pease, Jr., B.U. 1958 Instructor in Religion

Philip Mason DuBois, Ph.D. 1959 Instructor in Physics

John Richards, II, M.A.T. 1959 instructor in History

Wilj iam Abbot Munroe, A.B. 1960 Bursar

James Allyn Bradford, B.D. 1960 Instructor in Religion

Gilbert Burnett, Jr., A.B. 1960 Instructor in Biology an J Science

John Patten Chivers, A.M. 1960 Instructor in German Chairman of the German Department

Carl Edward Krumpe, Jr., A.M. 1960 Instructor in Classics

\\ ii i iam Lawrence Markey, A.M. 1954-1957, 1960

Instructor in French

Thomas Rees, Ph.D. 1960

Instructor in Chemistry Frank DeWitt Thornton, B.M.Ed. 1960

Instructor in Music

George Howard Edmonds, Ed.M. 1961 Instructor in English

Edward Moseley Harris, S.B. 1961

Instructor in Spanish

Executive Officer, Schoolboys Abroad Guy D'Oyly Hughes, A.M. 1961

Instructor in English

Crayton Ward Bedford, A.M. 1962 Instructor in Mathematics

* On leave of absence.


Paul- Yves Colle, L. es L. 1962 Instructor in French

Alfred James Coulthard. S.B. 1962 Instructor in Physical Education

Wayne Andrew Frederick, Ph.M. 1962 Instructor in History

Robert Andrext Lloyd, Arch.B. 1962 Instructor in Art

Charles Waldo Smith, A.B. 1962 Executive Director, The Alumni Fund

Alanson Perley Stevens, III, A.M. 1962 Instructor in German and Russian

Ellsworth Alfred Fersch, Jr., LL.B., A.M. 1963 Instructor in English

Thomas Tolman Lyons, M.A.T. 1963 Instructor in History

Barbara McDonnell, A.B., S.B. 1963 Director of the Library

Robert Rennie McQuilkin, A.M. 1963 Instructor in English

Jerome Alec Pieh, M.A.T. 1963 Instructor in History

Meredith Price, M.A.T. 1963 Instructor in English

Alexander Zabriskie Tarrhn, A.B. 1963 Instructor in Mathematics

Teter Charles Beamish, S.M. 1964 Instructor in Mathematics and Science

Christopher Capen Cook, M.F.A. 1964 Instructor in Art

William Sherman Jardine, M.A.T. 1964 Instructor in Science

Gary Britten Miles, A.M. 1964 Instructor in Classics

Charles Bartlett Packard, M.A.T. 1964 Instructor in Classics

Vincent Pascucci, A.M. 1964 Instructor in Classics

Daniel Dretzka Olivier, A.M. 1964 Instructor in English

Assistant Director, Schoolboys Abroad, Barcelona, Spain

Clark Alvord Vaughan, A.M. 1964 Instructor in Spanish

Director, Schoolboys Abroad, Barcelona, Spain Alan Rogers Blackmer, Jr., M.A.T. 1965

Summer Session Director of Admissions August Thayer Jaccaci, Jr., M.A.T., M.F.A. 1965

Instructor in Art

Julian Stevens Kaiser, M.D. 1965 Medical Director



Ronn Nels Minne, Ph.D. Instructor in Chemistry

James Arthur Quitslund, A.B. Instructor in German

Angel Maroto Rubio, A.M. Instructor in Spanish

Nathaniel Baldwin Smith, A.M. Instructor in Mathematics

Hale Sturges, II, A.M. Instructor in French

Jacques Georges Tallot, Professeur agrege Instructor in French

George Culbreth Thomas, A.B.

Wtngate Paine Fellow in Photography

Thomas Mark Brayton, A.B. Teaching Fellow in Classics

Thomas Bowen Coburn, A.B. Teaching Fellow in Religion

Allin Carey Seward, III, A.B. Teaching Fellow in French

David Marshall Smith, A.B. Teaching Fellow in F.nglish

John Neville Williamson, A.B. Teaching Fellow in Mathematics

1965 1965 1965 1965 1965

19 5 8-60, re-appointed 1965 1965 1965 1965 1965 1965 1965

Evans Science Building


Correspondence with administrative officers should be addressed to them at George Washington Hall. Office hours: week days, 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 and (except Saturday) 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Offices are closed on Saturday during the summer. Appointments should be made in advance, if possible. For information, call or see Miss Meredith Thiras, Receptionist (telephone 617—475-3400), during office hours.


John Mason Kemper, L.H.D., Litt.D., LL.D., Hcddmaster Mrs. Amy R. Robinson, Secretary to the Headmaster


James Ruthven Adriance, A.B., Assistant to the Headmaster Mrs. Ruth A. White, Secretary to the Assistant to the Headmaster


Robert Whittemore Sides, A.B., Director of Admissions Dalton Hunter McBee, A.B., Admissions Officer

Frederick Scouller Allis, Jr., A.M., L.H.D., Director of Financial Aid

Harper Follansbee, Ed.M., John Richards, II, M.A.T., Jerome Alec Pieh, M.A.T.,

Albert Karl Roehrig, Ed.M., Stephen Whitney, A.M., Interviewing Officers Mrs. Vivian A. O'Donnell, Secretary to the Director of Admissions

OFFICE OF THE DEAN OF THE FACULTY Alan Rogers Blackmer, A.M., L.H.D., Dean of the Faculty


George Grenville Benedict, A.M., Dean of Students

William Russell Bennett, Jr., A.B., Associate Dean of Students

Kenneth Smith Minard, A.M., Assistant Dean of Students

Robert Penniman Hulburd, A.M., Director of College Placement

Clement Morell, A.M., Excusing Officer

Peter Quackenbush McKee, Ed.M., Scheduling Officer

Mary Elise Waddington, Secretary to the Director of College Placement

Mary Rokel, Secretary to the Dean of Students

BUREAU OF SELF-HELP Robert Edwin Lane, A.M., Director of the Bureau of Self-Help


Henry Waring Schereschewsky, A.B., Comptroller William Abbot Munroe, A.B., Bursar

Richard Valentine Healy, P.E., Director of Physical Plant

Marion E. Hill, Assistant Bursar

Evelyn H. Gordon, Director of Student Accounts

Mrs. Barbara L. Morrison, Secretary to the Comptroller


Frederic Anness Stott, A.B., Alumni Secretary and Director of Development Charles Waldo Smith, A.B., Executive Director, The Alu mni Fund Mrs. Helen R. Bronk, Secretary to the Executive Director, The Alumni Fund Mrs. Ruth P. Ellison, Secretary to the Director of Development





Julian S. Kaiser, M.D., Medical Director Albert Karl Roehrig, Ed.M., Psychologist Mrs. Vera B. Westover, Administrator

Local Consultants

Douglas Malcolm Dunbar, D.D.S., Senior Dentist

Herman DeWilde, M.D., D.M.D., Associate Dentist

C. Paul Bonin, D.M.D., Orthodontist

John Paul Holihan, M.D., Anesthesiologist

Milton D. Howard, M.D., Pathologist

Robert J. Joplin, M.D., Orthopedist

Richard Katz, M.D., Pediatrician

Richard S. O'Hara, M.D., General Surgeon

Nicholas D. Rizzo, M.D., Psychiatrist

George V. West, M.D., Radiologist

John F. Murphy, B.A., Speech Therapist

John F. Bronk, Physical Therapist

John F. Nastasi, Optometrist


Barbara McDonnell, A.B., S.B., Director of the Library Mrs. Harriet F. Burkhard, A.B., Assistant in the Library Sylvia A. Collin, S.M., Reference Librarian Mrs. Margaret B. Towne, S.B., Assistant in the Library Irene Wilkinson, A.B., S.M., Cataloguer


Bartlett Harding Hayes, Jr., A.B., Director Christopher Capen Cook, M.F.A., Assistant Director Antoinette Thiras, Secretary and Registrar


Douglas Swain Byers, A.M., Director

Frederick Johnson, S.B., Curator

Richard S. Macneish, Ph.D., Research Associate

Mrs. Marjory McC. Stevens, Secretary and Assistant to the Director


Fred Harold Harrison, A.M., Director of Physical Educatioti and Athletics John Frank Bronk, Instructor in Physical Education and Physiotherapist Alfred James Coulthard, S.B., Instructor in Physical Education Frank Frederick DiClemente, S.B., Instructor in Physical Education Stephen Stanley Sorota, S.B., Instructor in Physical Education Reagh Clinton Wetmore, M.P.E., Instructor in Physical Education


Wm. Biggs Clift, Jr., Mus.Ed.B., Chairman and Instructor in Brass Instruments Lorene Banta, Ph.D., Instructor in Organ Gerard Charles Bellanti, Instructor in Accordion Carl E. Bochman, Mus.Ed.B., Instructor in Drums Albion Metcalf, Instructor in Piano

Roland Moore, Instructor in Bass Viol and Classical Guitar

William Louis Schneider, Mus.Ed.B., Instructor in Stringed Instruments

DeWitt Thornton, Mus.Ed.B., Instructor in Woodwind Instruments




Frederick Almond Peterson, A.M., Director

Alan Rogers Blackmer, Jr., M.A.T., Director of Admissions

Mrs. Edith Jako, Secretary


Clark Alvord Vaughan, A.M., Director of Program, Barcelona Edward Mosely Harris, S.B., Executive Officer, Andover Mrs. Clark Alvord Vaughan, Nurse-Secretary, Barcelona

MONCRIEFE COCHRAN SANCTUARY George Knight Sanborn, S.B., Warden


Gordon Gilmore Bensley, A.B., Director Mrs. Ruth Roehrig, Coordinator

Aloystus Hobausz, Puskas T. Inst, of Tele Communication (Budapest), Audio Technician


Frederick A. Peterson, A.M., Chairman Mrs. Lucy Pieh, Coordinator



Douglas Swain Byers, A.M.


Bartlett Harding Hayes, Jr., A.B.


Fred Harold Harrison, A.M.


Harper Follansbee, Ed.M.


Philip Brownlie Weld, M.S.


Alston Hurd Chase, Ph.D.


William Hayes Brown, A.M.


James Hooper Grew, D. es L.


John Patten Chivers, A.M.


Leonard Frank James, A.M.


Richard Sawyer Pieters, A.M.


William Biggs Clift, Jr., Mus.Ed.B.


Peter Quackenbush McKee, Ed.M.


Alfred Graham Baldwin, D.D.


Robert Edwin Lane, A.M.


James Harold Couch, A.M.


A ndover students, for the most part, live together by classes in the Academy dormitories and houses. Each building is under the supervision of the resident faculty housemaster. All boys eat in their own class dining rooms in the Commons.

Juniors live in Williams Hall and Rockwell House, or in neigh- boring houses and cottages. Williams Hall, with its annexes, Junior House and Stott Cottage, has rooms and recreation facilities for fifty-six Juniors, who occupy single or double rooms. Rockwell House has single rooms and recreation facilities for forty Juniors. Juniors are subject to the special regulations and the particularly close supervision found helpful to boys of this age in making a successful transition from home to boarding school life. Carefully selected Senior proctors play an important part in the activities of the various Junior units.

Lower Middlers live in three of the double-entry brick dormi- tories and in a number of smaller houses and cottages, where they receive careful guidance but also enjoy a degree of independence suited to their increased maturity. Senior proctors are in residence in most of the Lower Middle units.

Upper Middlers and Seniors, having learned to profit from rela- tively great independence and freedom, are housed, with a few exceptions, in large brick dormitories by classes, where they are permitted considerable latitude in the exercise of their daily affairs. In the four newest dormitories, the resident groups are made up of an approximately equal number of Upper Middlers and Seniors, who live in the same dormitory for their last two years.


Each Andover student is under the direct charge of a Faculty Counselor, who, for boarding students, is his housemaster. He knows the background, the character, and the standing of each of his boys and acts as his advisor in all that concerns his welfare and his happiness. The Counselor is usually the member of the Faculty most intimately in touch with the student and his parents. From time to time, he will write the parents to keep them informed of




their son's progress. Parents should feel free to write their son's counselor if they have any reason for concern about their boy's progress. They are encouraged to report to the counselor any facts that may affect the boy's work or behavior.


Phillips Academy is an inter-denominational school whose ori- gin and traditions rest firmly upon a Christian faith and system of values.

Chapel services are an essential part of the Phillips Academy program and are conducted by the Headmaster, the School Minis- ters, students, and members of the faculty. Among the visiting speakers are leaders of many denominations. A number of college chaplains are invited to speak each year.

Attendance at chapel services is required, although on Sundays boys may choose to attend services at other Protestant or Roman Catholic churches in Andover. Students of Jewish faith may attend services in the Sylvia Pratt Kemper Chapel. Mass for Roman Catho- lic students is celebrated in this small Chapel each Sunday at 8:15.

This arrangement emphasizes two sets of values: a close con- nection of each boy with his own denomination, and a program of worship within the life of the school built upon the common elements of our religious heritage.

In a school composed of students from diverse backgrounds, it is not possible fully to satisfy all the special requirements of dif- ferent sects and denominations. Therefore no boy should apply for admission to the Academy who feels that the ritualistic practices of his own faith must be literally followed in all circumstances.

In daily chapel the effort is to develop a service that strengthens the best aspirations and insights of students, while denying to no one the right to hold fast his own faith. The school tries to develop devotion to God and reliance upon faith as a source of inspiration and strength, to confirm a boy's support of the highest values that our civilization has nurtured, and to increase his respect for and understanding of the beliefs of others.

Those who have minority religious status as well as those who have majority status are expected to work with equal eagerness toward the goals by means of which Phillips Academy endeavors to achieve harmony and unity in diversity.



CULTURAL OPPORTUNITIES Andover has always demanded a high standard of accomplish- ment in the prescribed course of study. At the same time, the school believes that a boy's interest should be widened as far as possible beyond the subjects of the curriculum. Through the Oliver Wendell Holmes Library, the Robert S. Peabody Foundation for Archaeology, the Addison Gallery of American Art, the Depart- ment of Music, and